Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] xidsti@gmail.com is offline

Default Adding electrical service to basement

On Mar 27, 8:11 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
I'll have to look and see how much room is in my existing panel (not
much if I remember right (4 or 6 slots at the bottom).

Turns out I have 3 blanks at the top:
photo - http://www.terry.uga.edu/~craigw/ima...nel(large).jpg

So it doesn't matter that 30 computers running at the same time will
be using 75-150A by themselves?

With respect to whether you need a subpanel or a main panel, no, it doesn't
matter. The electrons can't tell what kind of panel they flow through.

Does this mean having 2 - 200A panels coming from the meter is still
only 200A of power available (the second panel NOT a sub-panel of the
first)?

(my computer is using 2.5A idle, and
3.4A when playing games (550watt Power supply)

Have you verified those numbers with a clamp-on ammeter, or are you just
extrapolating from the power supply rating?

I dont have a clamp on ammeter (wish I did). I basing it on this from
my battery backup:
http://www.terry.uga.edu/~craigw/images/poweridle.jpg

I guestimated the amperage based on idle and what that screen reports
when I close a game (around 340watts, but i can't screen shot before
it starts dropping) and dividing by 10 (Turns out the formula is watts/
volts=amps, so 2.2A at idle and 3.0A when playing?). My monitor (lcd)
is plugged into the same battery backup, so that load is for CPU and
monitor.

--
Regards,