Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Adding electrical service to basement

In article . com, wrote:
I'm in the planning stages of finishing a room in my basement. The
main panel for the house is 200A and is located in the basement. What
I would like to do is add a second 200A panel just for the basement.

Why? You're only talking [below] about another 30 or 40 amps of load (the
washer and dryer don't count -- that's not new load, just relocated load).
What do you need with a second 200A panel?

The reason why I want to do a separate panel for the bsement (not a
sub panel) is that at some point in the future we may want to move the
washing machine and clothes dryer into the basement, possibly put a
kitchen, and maybe a hottub.

So? That doesn't preclude installing a subpanel.

A subpanel is definitely the easiest and lowest-cost method of expanding the
number of available circuits. I don't understand your reluctance to do this.
Why would you want to add another main panel?

And of course you may not even need to do that, depending on the space
available in your current panel.

--
Regards,