Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

Default BSP adaptor for an Air Bottle?

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi All

Sort of off topic - but along similar lines......
and you all seem to know what you're talking about..... g

Does anybody know what alternatives might exist to the conventional
'Sodastream' refill bottles.

We rather like a drop of fizzy water - and, back in the UK, it was
fairly easy to get refilled CO2 bottles.

However, out here in the wilds of West Cork (Ireland) - we're faced
with a 1.5hour journey into Cork city to swap out our Sodastream
bottles. OK - so we have a few 'spares' - so we only have to do the
journey every coule of months - but it's a journey that we wouldn't
otherwise do...

So - possible thoughts included

a) Buy / rent / whatever a bigger CO2 bottle (?pub supply?) and the
necessary 'pipery' to dump small doses of CO2 liquid into the
Sodastream bottles ourselves.
Not sure how practical or safe this might be.....

b) Maybe the 'pipery' exists to feed the Sodastream dinks maker
directly from a bigger gas bottle.....?

How does the big CO2 bottle thing work - do you buy one or maybe hire
it....?

Just wondering if anybody's been down this path before, or could make
any suggestions...

Many thanks
Adrian

Adrian,

The issue with the Sodastream using larger bottles is one of pressure
release at the correct time.
The lever/button on mine ( Fizz on line model ) depresses the centre valve
on the bottle to allow gas through.
With a direct connection to the unit you would need some form of valve that
operates in conjunction with the button being pressed.
Now, since we are thinking along the same lines, you could ask a friendly
local engineering shop to thread the base of the existing bottle and add a
suitable connector for a feed from a larger "Pb" sized one.
Alternatively a side mounted adapter would work if welded on.
Also if you can remove the top valve you could possibly have a tail attached
to allow connection to a larger bottle.

The Sodastream website http://tinyurl.com/2393or suggests

"Our new large and extra large Alco2Jet aluminium cylinders work only with
our certain drinksmakers. See below if your drinksmaker is compatible. If
not, call our customer care centre about our upgrade offers: 0800 085 8373"
so you can have delivery direct.

I've used Sodastream regularly since I was 17 and I'm now 47....Good stuff
for cheap and enjoyable drinks.