Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Repairman's knot

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote in message
Ron(UK) wrote:

Presuming you mean to get rid of excess length of cable when the gear is
installed. Don,t coil the cable, zigzag it.

I think what he means is something I was taught in electric shop in junior
high school (1967?) called an electrician's knot.

Here's a drawing of it:

http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/3-fig3.jpg

and a description:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz3.htm

I've often cheated in places where the cable was already run and did not
want to cut it to tie the knot by taking a large nylon cable tie (aka
Tie-Wrap) and placing it around the wire inside the unit. Be sure
to leave some slack so that if the wire is pulled it stresses the
cable tie, not the wire.

Geoff.

You are right about coiling the wire, it will create a magnetic field.
The one exception to that rule is coax, it can be coiled.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice:

1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Not that one.
For storing or just shelving unused equipment , so the mains cable was not
trailling about and no need for ties of any sort. All the cable is taken up
into the hank/knot leaving just the mains plug exposed and all tight up
against the back of the chassis.
The person who showed me years ago how to do it , went overboard.
It used to annoy me that the bunching was so close to the chassis and
bunched so tight you needed a screwdriver to open up the knot and there was
always a tight spiral of cable for 6 or so turns when undone that stayed
like that. I've long since forgotten how to do it.
I invented my own that did not deform the cable so much and easily undone
by myself or customers, but you cannot form it right up close to the
chassis.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England