Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Repairman's knot

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:

Presuming you mean to get rid of excess length of cable when the gear is
installed. Don,t coil the cable, zigzag it.

I think what he means is something I was taught in electric shop in junior
high school (1967?) called an electrician's knot.

Here's a drawing of it:

http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/3-fig3.jpg

and a description:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz3.htm

I've often cheated in places where the cable was already run and did not
want to cut it to tie the knot by taking a large nylon cable tie (aka
Tie-Wrap) and placing it around the wire inside the unit. Be sure
to leave some slack so that if the wire is pulled it stresses the
cable tie, not the wire.

If the OP meant to tie up the mains cable when transporting an item of
equipment, say a vcr or tv, then the usual way is to coil a good portion
of the cable closest to the appliance, then squeeze the coils together
and wind the rest of the cable around that so that it resembles a
hangmans noose. Then the outer loop of one coil is passed over the plug
top to secure it.

Or you could use a rubber band.

You are right about coiling the wire, it will create a magnetic field.
The one exception to that rule is coax, it can be coiled.

Careful now...

Ron(UK)