Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default BSP adaptor for an Air Bottle?

On 27 Mar, 09:38, wrote:
One of my most used tools in the garage is my compressor as an air
blower. But I keep thinking how much I would like a portable version..
SOmething like a "Recharable Air Blower" which I could fill from my
compressor.

Do the maths. You can't do this for workshop pressures and store a
useful amount of energy in a bottle small enough to be portable. For
anything smaller than a zeppelin, you get two nails and it's flattened
again.

Your dive bottle is designed for a squillion psi. Like all HP air
systems outside submarines, it only needs a moderate mass airflow and
so the passageways are deliberately designed to be tiny. If you did
use it, you wouldn't get enough volume airflow out of it to drive an
air tool.

If you use a dive bottle anywhere around its design pressure, you need
to design a HP air system. You're on your own there!

If you even use a dive bottle there are problems. Just turning it into
a plantpot involves paperwork that makes CORGI look like Blue Peter.
You have to destroy the cylinder by the official protocol (making sure
you don't turn you and your bandsaw into a small sticky mess when it
turns out to have still had pressure in it). You're also _really_
prohibited from modifying SCBA kit - if you do anything with it, you
first have to "de-mil" it and make it entirely certain it can't ever
be confused again with use for its original purpose. Then there's the
legal aspect of getting your arse sued off by angry cylinder
companies.... (DAMHIKT)

I only know of one guy who I'd regard as competent (legally and
technically) to dispose of a SCBA cylinder appropriately, and
certainly none of the divers (the cave divers are beyond hope anyway).
And that's picked from a circle of people with fairly fearsome
attitudes to what's possible in a shed.

In practical terms, compressed gas just ain't going to work (unless
you're back to squillion psi). If you _must_, then you need to store
liquid instead. More stored mass means more stored energy. CO2 is
practical here, for small values of practical.

Also a SCBA cylinder is the wrong thing (and a dive bottle is, I
understand, even worse). You can't get the volume airflow out of it.
There's another obvious source though, pub CO2 cylinders.