Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk is offline

Default BSP adaptor for an Air Bottle?

On 27 Mar, 10:41, "Roger Mills" wrote:

One of my most used tools in the garage is my compressor as an air
blower. But I keep thinking how much I would like a portable version..
SOmething like a "Recharable Air Blower" which I could fill from my
compressor.

As an ex-diver, I had an idea.. I have a small (perhaps 1/2l) air
bottle and I figured that with the correct fittings, I could connect
it to my cylinder and fill it. As my project developed, I realised
that if I fitted a standard 'quick release' fitting to the top of the
bottle. I could use it to power ANY tool.. Obviously its not going to
give much air, but certainly enough to drive in a few staples for
example.

The idea is sound, but trying to get the fittings has proved
impossible.

The thread in the bottle is 7/10" (not sure if 7/10" is right, but
thats what my calipers say it is) but no-one that I have found stocks
anyhting like this, which will convert to BSP.. Once its in a BSP
thread, I already have plenty of adaptors which will let me hook it
up.

So, the question is, can I get a adaptor to convert the thread on the
bottle to BSP?

If not, where could I get a small bottle (1L) which is capable of
holding a measly 8bar which has a suitable thread?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon

What would normally screw into your gas bottle? Can you get a fitting with
the right thread onto which you could braze a short length of copper pipe,
with a BSP fitting at the other end?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Its an interesting idea and something that I have thought about.. Its
a steal valve, which connects to a full sized dive bottle.. But there
are a number of reasons why I don't want to do this.

1. Its steel, so brazing to copper is almost certainly not going to
work.
2. It means destroying a perfectly good valve
3. Its got a TINY hold through it (I guess because its designed to
work at 232bar, so volume isn't an issue). Obviously I could drill
this out to make it bigger.

But it is an option should I not be able to locate a source for the
correct parts! My other option is to obtain an old Fire-extinguisher
bottle. But again, I don't know wheere I would be able to connect a
standard BSP thread to it.

Jon