Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Adding 14awg wire to 20A circuit

On 26 Mar 2007 13:22:29 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 26, 3:15?pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
We went over this some months back, and I don't believe anyone could come up
with a code violation, which seems strange to me, but I know I couldn't find
one

wrote in message

news

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't
realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload
even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put
in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

Is it a code violation, certainly.
Will your house explode in flames? no.
14ga wire will carry 20a all day long, even at the 60c rating. 310.16
says so BUT 240.4(D) says you shall protect it with a 15a breaker to
build in the 80% safety factor. If the real load is limited to a
single luminaire it is not really a hazard but it is still against
code.- Hide quoted text -

somone 30 years from now could plug a power saw into a screw in
adapter and pull the full load 20 amps plus the breakers over currtent
amount.

The screw-in adapters I've seen were rated 250W.

24 amps on 14 gauge NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Yiour use may not be the next owners use

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell