Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Joshin Just Joshin is offline

Default Adding 14awg wire to 20A circuit

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:05 -0400, "Em" wrote:

I added a light fixture to an existing 20A 12awg circuit, and didn't realize
I used 14awg romex until I was done. The new fixture wouldn't overload even
a 15A circuit, so a) are you gonna tell me I have to fix my error and put in
the larger cable, and b) why is that? Thanks

I dont' like using anything less than the same size as a branch
circuit, but I was told in an example like this, that you can use 14#
taps in a 20a circuit. As long as the tap doesn't feed something to
over current the 14#.

Now I didn't verify this, since I use the same size, so check with
your electrical codes.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com