Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replace dangerous side steps

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:10:51 -0700, aspasia wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:39:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:24:08 -0700, aspasia wrote:

Guys, the best way to show the steps is to show them.

I have a couple of step pictures that would make everything clear

[...]

OK, I have posted two pictures of the side steps on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under the Subject
"Side Steps".

OK, they're much bigger than I thought (yet not big enough to put an
intermediate step in like I did with pavers between my stoop and front
door.)

And there are two steps, not one, and the first step didn't sink wrt
the second as the other guy suggested and I thought.

And I guess there are only two risers, but isn't the distance from the
top step to the door sill an important distance too, and it seems as
high as the second riser.

And the first step is not shaped to make it that easy to layer wood on
it. And maybe a layer of cement wouldn't be any harder, but that
brings us back to my previous paragraph and the step from the top step
to the door sill.

A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Hope you will check out these pictures and give your
input. So far, I only have one bid for wood steps and
hand rail,which is fine with me. (see earlier in this thread).

And was that a reasonable price? Less than your grant? Including I
suppose removal of the first steps. Which I suppose requires breaking
them up first, a nothing job for someone who owns an electric jack
hammer, but more work for someone who has to rent one or do it some
other way.

TIA for your advice.

Your bid might be fine. Is it for two steps or three? I don't have a
computer tape measure, but it seems like you need 3.

If one is shorter than the others, shouldn't it be the lowest step?
Or if it is custom made, will they be the same, even though that might
make each less than standard? People do standard height steps without
thinking.

I have maybe the least experience in many things of anyone here, but
on a good day I have ideas, some zany, and many questions. Here, I
wonder if you can buy a pre-fab 3step cement steps, and how much prep
has to be done to put it in place. And will it sink, when lighter
wooden steps won't. I would think that neither would sink, given that
your current steps have packed the earth down very well.

And what kind of nice railing could be built for prefab cement steps.

And I think wood will require painting every few years, but what bout
that "wood" from recycled plastic they use for decks these days. A
little more expensive but no maintenance required.

BTW, posts fall off binary newsgroups pretty quickly. Before my ISP
changed, it was only 1 or 2 days, I think. NOw they hired a service
to handle their news and went from keeping text posts 6 months to
several years, so it is probably more for binary too, but I don't know
how much. Or other isps.

I had in mind those websites where people post pictures of their
family etc. which apparently are free too, but I have no idea how long
they can stay there. I was looking at one yesterday, and pictures
were disappeaaring while I looked at it. It went from 6 down to 1! I
don't know if age was a reason or not.

So I don't know which are easier to use.

Also, if you get no answers, post again under a new thread with a
somewhat different thread name, so that things come out at the end.

Because this group gets so much traffic, this post was pretty high up
from the bottom, and often I don't see followups that are this far up.
With Agent and maybe other pprograms, even if you start a new thread
with the new thread button, if it is called by the same Subject, it
will thread together and I still will see it only way high up. I call
it the Psychology of Computers, when I try to figure out how programs
I have never used work with my email and news posts.

Aspasia