Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Michael Bulatovich Michael Bulatovich is offline

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

"Rookie_Remodeler" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are pros and cons to each option. Right now I am in the
middle of a major remodeling in my house where I decided to be the
General Contractor. I am saving a lot of money in the process. At
least 30% of the average price some GCs quoted me. And I am not even
including the "change orders".

It is a very wrong assumption thinking that a GC will "take care of
everything" and "everything will go fine" by working with a GC. I
know of several "terror stories" and "bad experiences" of people
working with GCs, even building expensive high-end homes.

Get a very good architect who can make detailed drawings of your
vision and the necessary specifications. Go the the local "Better
Business Bureau" and check the companies and services you wish, as a
start.

Another misconception is the one that you may not get the best
material prices. Well... GCs and Subs overcharge you anyways and
nowadays you can get very good deals in Home Depot, Lowes and over the
Internet. For example, Home Depot and Lowes have a promotion of 10%
discount on your first purchase with their credit card. Get one for
you then later another for your wife, etc.

Pros
- You have the flexibility of changing your project without going
through a contract renegotiations or "change orders" with the GC.
Actually, Change Orders are where they really get you since you are on
the hook with them. Actually, this was confirmed by more than one
GCs (some retired) I talked with. Of course, you may have to
renegotiate the changes with the subs but they are way more flexible
and sometimes will not charge you for the change if you tell them in
time and it is not something major (for example, adding an extra
window - provided you buy it - or changing the location of a door).

- You have more control of the expenses since you are seeing each
sub's costs. With a GC you only see the whole cost.

- If you are handy and a "do-it-yourself" type person you can save a
lot of money, assuming you will treat your home building as a "rea
job". It will take a considerable amount of your time if you want it
done right.

- No "change orders" where GCs usually overcharge/overprice since it's
where they make most of the money and they know they will come because
some things only show up when you have the house being build or
remodeled.

- Did I say you save a lot of money? :-)

Cons
- It will take a lot of your time, both managing the subcontractors
and studying codes, construction techniques, etc. And you will have
to discuss them with the subs explaining very clearly what you want
and what you do not want.

- You will have to deal with the subs on your own and have very good
Project Management skills to make sure materials arrive on time, subs
finish their part on time and clear the site for the next ones,
arrange the inspector visits and deal with them (in my case they have
been very nice and helpful), make sure you have a good insurance
policy, etc.

- You may be put in the end of the line by the best subs since they
usually give priority to the GCs, who keep bringing jobs to them, as
other posters mentioned.

It has been a very nice experience for me and I've been learning a
lot. It is not as difficult as some like to portray as long as you
choose your subs well, dedicate time and patience to the project and
you do a good chunk of the work yourself. In my case I'm doing/did
all the electrical, most of the plumbing, all insulation, painting,
installing doors, trims, etc. All of them, so far, passing the codes
and approved by the inspectors. I hired subs to do the framing,
drywalls and very likely tiling. And, by the way, I could also buy
some very nice tools during the project! ;-)

Nice post, Rookie. The point that stood out for me is the inverse
relationship between the quality of the drawings and the required experience
of the contractor.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca