Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Help with my finishing technique

A one day finish?

Shellac can have a bunch of coats in a day. The question is
whether it is a strong enough finish for your use.

Lacquer can sure be done in a day, a couple of times over.

I don't think you want to start here, but do some research on
pre/post catalyzed lacquer and on catalyzed varnish and/or
conversion varnish.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:47:19 GMT, B A R R Y

wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:15:53 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

BTW, I've tried a swipe coat of clear Watco under the shellac,
as some have
said the combination "pops" the grain more. My eyes can't tell
that the oil
has added anything on the cherry/walnut/alder/maple I've tried
it on.

The swipe goes under the WB on maple, birch, etc....

Under the shellac, you use more, as now you're looking to add
color,
say to QSWO...

From the sounds of it most of you spray on your finishes vs.
brushing them on?

I'm not up to spraying just yet still doing this stuff with a
brush or
those foam brushes, but by spraying you usually end up with a
very
thin layer(i'm going from experience of spray painting and
spraying
protective clears on artwork). Even if you spray 2 or 3 coats
won't
this still be a thinner layer than brushing on 1 layer?

And with the sprayed on layers don't you guys worry that when
you sand
in between coats that you are taking of a layer completely?

I'm asking all these about spraying simply because the drying
time for
me between coats of poly is 24 hours. So between stain,
finishing, and
waxing I'm looking at a week of the piece sitting there doing
nothing.
Any way to finish a piece in a day? Yes, that's shear ignorance
asking.

Thanks for all the help. It's nice to listen to experience for
my
future learning.

I think the best thing for me to do is what was suggested
before, just
go buy a piece of wood and a ton of different finishing
materials and
experiment and label what's what.