Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Cross Vice

On 2007-03-25 09:01:17 +0100, Tony Williams said:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

said:

The clasp nuts are only fixed with nasty little grub
screws going into threads cut in the cast iron.
No matter how much I heave on these screws there
is still a tiny slop in the clasp nuts.

There is a slight slop between the lead screws and
the clasp nuts. There is no means (like a locknut)
to tighten this up.

Not sure what you mean by clasp nuts.. Are these the assemblies
fitted on the outside of the castings through which the lead
screws first pass?

I probably used the wrong word. The large nuts that
run on the lead screws.

Right. I don't care about the name, I just wanted to make sure that I
understood which bit it was.

I'm more interested in a quick way to align pieces for drilling a
set of holes without having to completely unclamp the work.

If everything is tightened up, especially the leadscrew
shafts, even my relatively sloppy vice will do that.

Occasionally I mill plastic...

Someone around here, (and I shall remain anonymous),
prefers to mill plastic sheet with woodworking routers. :-)

Mm.. I've done that. The only thing I've found is that it is a bit
fiddly, especially with a router table.