Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
marson marson is offline

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

On Mar 24, 9:23 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 24, 9:58 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:

A prefab panel system I might be inclined to ponder would be those foamcore
SIP panels, like they showed on TOH a couple of times. You can't make those
on site.

Right. The wall framing itself is the least of it. If I can put up a
superior shell, complete with superior insulation and a completed 100%
fastenable interior wall surface, then that's the way to go. Modular
housing also makes more sense than panelized.

I always thought that a problem with sips was getting them to fit
together. Easy on paper, but unless your foundation is dead flat, it
seems like a good fit will be a struggle. I saw a new commercial
building one winter that had the roof framed with sips. I wasn't
impressed with the melt lines at the panel joints. Also, wiring and
plumbing penetrations are liable to be interesting. I suppose I come
across as a stick framing neanderthal, but both sips and panel houses
have been around for 20 or 30 years. Given the price pressures in
residential construction, when a method that is better-faster-cheaper
comes along, it will make its own way into the market.