Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

On 2 Mar 2007 12:37:49 -0800, wrote:

I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

In my experience, the "typical" hobbyist buys almost nothing brand
new. If YOU are NOT typical and plan on buying new stuff, the list you
have will cost you more than the house you're putting all that stuff
in.

Boy, you said a mouthful there. I guess I'm one of the non-typical
hobbyists, since I rarely buy used, and my shop has cost at least half
the value of my house over the past five years- not including all the
stuff I made myself to save money. And that's for far less equipment
than that orgininal post had jammed into it!

It has taken me many years to collect the tools that I now have. If
you don't want to wait that long, you will likely compromise on your
choices and end up with more junk than you will likely want.

Yep, unless TMT just won the lottery, that is... I've spent a lot of
cash on my shops, but it took a long time and a lot of overtime and
contract jobs in my off time to do it.