Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V Brian V is offline

Default Yet another toilet flange question

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

"Brian V" wrote in message
. ..
Hey guys,

Usually we hear "Ive added some kind of flooring now my flange is too
low, what can I do?". I've got the opposite question now...go figure, tis
the way my projects seem to go!

Gutting a bath, 1st floor. The original floor was 4 layers. Got the
joists, on top of that 3/4x8 planking, on top of that I had 3/4 ply, on
top of that I had 1/4 luan, then tile on top of that.

Ripping out everything down to the 3/4x8 planks. Plan on toping that with
3/4 ply, then 1/4" underlayment, then vinyl. This is going to put the
flange about 1/8" to 1/4" higher that the flooring.

Seems like I got a couple of options.

1, Add another layer of 1/4" underlayment.
2, Just add an extra bit of 1/4" under the flange so it's supported.
3, Cut out the cast, go with PVC. Obviously not a choice I'm particularly
fond of. Current flange is almost 50 years old, but looks clean as heck,
very surprised at how good it looks.

I guess my question is if I choose option 2 will the flange being higher
than the floor affect the toilet being secure? Looking at the toilet it
appears that the part that goes in to the flange is a bit recessed than
the base which sits on the floor.

Ideas, thoughts?
Thanks,
-Brian

1/8 to 1/4 that sounds perfect to me. or you could go with a 3/8"
undelayment ( witch is better) then add about 1/8 for you vinly now you
got that pesky 1/4 made up. but what do I know I'm just a plumber.

LOL, me neither! I should raise it up a couple more inches and make it a
real throne! G