Refinish King

Default What are the aluminum repair welding rods ...

There's a great question!

Refinish King

PS

Do you see what we have to fix aluminum radiators?

LOL

"George" wrote in message
If it works on spark plug holes, that could be real nice. Have you
ever tried it on anything like a worn car AC condensor?

Other folks have said the rods are Zinc. I've read that Zinc is
popular for what they call "Lost Wax Zinc Casting".
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science...470950,00.html
http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/lostwax/lostwax1.shtml

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:42:32 -0500, "Wild Bill"
wrote:

I started using this stuff in the '80s when I found some at a hamfest. It
was being marketed by the name Mesa Foundry aluminum repair rod. The

sticks
appeared to be poured rather than having the appearance of drawn wire.
For genuine aluminum alloy rod, look for some Postle products, also
available in spools.

For anything thicker than thin sheet aluminum, you'll at least need a

Mapp
gas torch.. propane won't work well with lengths of 1/8" flat or angle.
It will most likely be darker than aluminum when it ages.

It definitely is handy to have around for fabricating with aluminum

stock,
boat and outdoor hardware for example. In most instances, it makes
fabrication simpler than mechanical fasteners. For repairing breaks in
flimsy parts, adding a backer or filler section will greatly improve the
original structural strength.
Scratching it into the base metal at the working temp seems to make a

strong
bond.
It cuts well with typical tools, and is a little more resistant to filing
than cast aluminum.

I've used it to restore ripped out spark plug threads and recoil starter
ratchets on chainsaws.
It fills holes well, and can be used to add additional mass, but it gets
watery at slightly higher than it's working temp, so it can run off the

part
if you have too much heat.
I don't make any cast parts, but it seems that it would be suitable for
modeling and other uncommon shapes.

WB

"George" wrote in message
.. .
What are the aluminum repair welding rods that I'm seeing that you
just use an OA torch to melt with no flux, shielding gas, etc. ???
Here come the questions:

1. Does it really work?
2. What are the rods made out of?
3. What are the trade offs? I'm assuming it's for general repairs
and not stuff where you have a special alloy with a
strength/flexibility that's critical.

At any rate, the Eastwood catalog shows the stuff and the catalog
blurb claims to even do pot metal. I have also seen the rods down at
the local tractor and supply (US Welding brand I think).

Just to explain, I have aluminum wire and argon for my MIG but usually
keep steel and a 75/25 gas mix hooked up. The thing that raised my
attention is that my OA rig is always ready to go and I have a ton of
tips to manage heat. I'm thinking of using the stuff for small
repairs where swapping out the wire and the gas is a hassle. I also
have flux and wire for critical stuff from Tinman Tech which works
good for thin stuff. (For those who recall some of my past queries,
I've not yet convinced my wife that I can't live without a Lincoln TIG
--- but I'm still working on her :-))

--George