Gnube

Default What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:40:35 +0100, "Andy Jeffries"
wrote:

Holy crap!! You are saying that you find Linux too user-unfriendly and
are considering Gentoo!

No, that's not what I meant to say. I was more rating them than
expressing how I personally found them.

That's like saying I don't know much about cars so I'm going to buy a nice
easy one, however I may get one in kit form soon to give that a go!

Indeed it would be like that to a certain extent, however in my youth
3 of us clubbed together to build our first car, a bullock, based on
the salvage from a ford escort van, so that would be in character for
me I guess! It wasn't the having a car, but the learning which was the
most rewarding. Even if I have forgotten it all again now! ;O)

If you want to try a Linux distro again, I'd recommend against Gentoo -
it's too powerful/complex for beginners.

Indeed, but I happen to have access to a Gentoo guru, and that helps!
;O)

If you try RedHat (9) on a machine that isn't your main one, feel free to
email me with anything you need help on.

I always keep a machine handy for playing about with Linux. Most of
what I find a problem with linux boils down to there being a lot out
there who will urge just about anyone to try it, and very often, if
you do, and then mention the things it does not do because that
feature is actually broken (so far, it may get fixed one day) they
then typically say, "oh, well, I don't use it that way, I only use it
for....!". I can't help getting the feeling that might have been more
usefully mentioned BEFORE or even WHILE urging another to adopt it!
You rarely see that happen though, at least not IME so far! ;O)

Anyway, this isn't really the place for this subject, I hope I din't
upset anyone too much by replying, but didn't want to leave what you
say ignored either, it seemed worth more than that; And, loosely
speaking, Linux is a DIY operating system anyway.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}