Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Cross Vice

On 2007-03-24 11:51:56 +0000, Peter Parry said:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 07:54:15 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

I'm looking for something quite substantial, like their 340217 product,
but a bit larger and ideally a better quality.

The quality of much of the Chinese machine tools has improved
considerably in the last few years and much of it is equal to
European equipment but at much lower prices. Where they do fall short
(using things like poor quality set screws for example) it is often
very easy to improve them. The basic casting and machining is
certainly now of very good quality.

That was one of my concerns - if there is a lot of backlash, or worse
still a tendency to move, it would be a bit useless. I suppose
that some replacement of screws could help.

Warco (http://www.warco.co.uk/shop.asp?catid=60&ProdId=674#674) have
some but only up to 5" jaw opening.

Yes I saw this site - this one appears to be the same as the MachineMart one.

Chronos have a nice Soba Compound Table (MX1209) but at 80mm it is
probably rather small
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Other_Milling_Vices_69.html&Cata logBody

saw this product as well and looking at the photo, it does look as
though the build quality is a lot better than the other products. It
could be OK - possibly I could make something to clamp into it and then
clamp work to that. Possibly they might have a larger one. My guess
is that it's Japanese. A Google search for the web site seems
unsuccessful though since it appears that soba is also a type of
Japanese noodle.

They also have a 6" cross vice further down the page which might be
nearer the size you are looking for.

I saw that too. It appears to be the same as the Sealey one.

Looking at various better quality pictures, it's hard to tell whether
the MachineMart style is better or worse than the Sealey style.

Something worth bearing in mind if you intend to use these with a
drill press is the height of the damn things. I've got a 6" jaw one
and the top of the vice jaws are 5" off the table, the vice bed is
4.5" off the table. Unless you have a long column drill press this
can be quite restrictive.

Fortunately I'm OK here. It's floor standing, so no height issue.

Obviously these vices are ideal for drilling but despite what a few
purveyors say I've never found them adequate for even light milling.

Drilling is really the main application. I may occasionally do a
little milling, but that is more likely to be in engineering plastic
than metal

If you want to use a drill press for occasional milling (which it
isn't very good at) you really need a machine vice like the Chronos
10074.

Nice product.

I'm not keen on using the drill press for much other than its original
purpose. There are other potential applications such as morticing is
wood, for which there are accessories. However, with the forces
involved (in that case vertical), I'm not sure that it would do the
bearings much good; so I avoided the temptation. Plus the set up time
is considerable. I addressed that requirement with a horizontal
morticer.

For heavier alternatives your best bet is the second hand market
although cross vices are not common as they were never really liked
in commercial machine shops.

http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/ or RA Atkins in Guildford (01483
811146) might have something suitable. They also occasionally come
up in industrial auctions.

Looks as though there are a few other manufacturer names there as well,
so I'll look a bit further at these as well.

Many thanks