Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fence question -- Additional information

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

1. The brickwork in question is what I would have called the
"chimney-breast," but I see that that term is used primarily of
brickwork that projects *into* the room. This is brickwork projecting
out from the wall. The idea is to have an enclosed area behind this to
prevent unauthorized access to an amateur radio antenna tower and a
generator.

2. There is a French drain, so there is no way to install a regular
in-ground fence post at that end.

From the responses already given, it seems that the best thing might be
to put a regular fence post as close as possible to the brickwork --
about 2ft out -- with the short fence panel between that post and the
brickwork not needing a whole lot of support at the chimney end. But
I'll have to think about the aesthetic aspect.

Your generator and antenna care what the inside of the fence look
like?

How big does this enclosed area need to be? I'm seeing something the size of
a dog pen, maybe? Yes, hold the posts back from the house. A 2-foot fence
panel can hang from one edge, you just need something to keep it from
flapping in the wind. Maybe a second post a foot or two inside the
perimeter, and create a triangular box section with the two posts, the house
end of short panel, and suitable braces between the three vertical edges.
Same concept as your antenna tower. For a six foot tall 2 feet wide fence
panel, it would only take a few rails on the 2 hidden sides- make sure the
lower one is high enough to make trimming the grass under it easy.

aem sends...