Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence question

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one end,
but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

There is no good way. Yes, you can use anchors, and drill into the mortar
or brick. BUT, brickwork is not known for its strength. Regular settling
of the soil is enough to cause brick walls to crack, break, and fall. Holes
where water can infiltrate and go through the freeze/thaw cycles are not a
good thing. Unless done exactly right, it is incredibly easy to split a
brick, or crack the mortar. And even if done right, there is a chance of
cracking.

I would consider attaching it to the ground. Something like a square tube
metal post sunk in concrete.

Unless it don't matter, or you are going to sell soon.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:47:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

I would try to attach it beyond the brick into wood or concrete with
lag screws.

If you can dig deep enough (1/3 length of the post), I would also
consider just using driveway chips (thin sliced stones) tamped around
the post.

Regards
Dale
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

My 42 inch picket fence, built by a major fence company around here,
Long Fence, with 3 locations in Baltimore and Washington, is not
attached to the wall at all. The first post is right next to the wall
and afaict inserted just the way the other posts are, and definitely
not connected to the house. FWIW It has 4" diameter round posts. It
hasn't moved in 28 years.

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

When I said "right next" I meant within a half inch, maybe within a
quarter inch, iirc, but I don't know why it would have to be that
close. The fence was built before I bought the house. I've repaired
my neighbor's fence, and his posts are square, by a different company,
and I'm pretty sure that his post is not attached to his house either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options
I see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood
to the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

If the brickwork is super-sturdy, I'd attach to that. I have a wooden fence
attached to the brickwork of the garage. Absent a sound brick fence...

It's likely you won't be able to place a post right next to the brick fence
because the brick fence may have a substantial below-ground foundation. So,
put the final post one or two feet from the brick fence and extend the
pickets with suitable bracing until they butt against the brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options
I see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood
to the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

You did not say if the brick work is a brick facing or a structural
brick. If it is a facing I would not really like the idea of trying to tie
in the fence. Even if it were structural brick I would not do it that way.
In fact I was faced with that problem and I did not do it that way. I just
placed the post close to but not touching the brick. That post and the
brick and the fence are still there 40 years later. I have moved but the
fence has not.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence question -- Additional information

On 03/22/07 10:47 pm I wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

1. The brickwork in question is what I would have called the
"chimney-breast," but I see that that term is used primarily of
brickwork that projects *into* the room. This is brickwork projecting
out from the wall. The idea is to have an enclosed area behind this to
prevent unauthorized access to an amateur radio antenna tower and a
generator.

2. There is a French drain, so there is no way to install a regular
in-ground fence post at that end.

From the responses already given, it seems that the best thing might be
to put a regular fence post as close as possible to the brickwork --
about 2ft out -- with the short fence panel between that post and the
brickwork not needing a whole lot of support at the chimney end. But
I'll have to think about the aesthetic aspect.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

My 42 inch picket fence, built by a major fence company around here,
Long Fence, with 3 locations in Baltimore and Washington, is not
attached to the wall at all. The first post is right next to the wall
and afaict inserted just the way the other posts are, and definitely
not connected to the house. FWIW It has 4" diameter round posts. It
hasn't moved in 28 years.

I have a brick house, just had most of my wooden fence replaced. It
gets very close to the brick but is not attached. A post (set in
concrete) is located a few inches from the wall, with boards nearly
touching the wall (these are whole boards, so I guess they started
there.

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

1. The brickwork in question is what I would have called the
"chimney-breast," but I see that that term is used primarily of
brickwork that projects *into* the room. This is brickwork projecting
out from the wall. The idea is to have an enclosed area behind this to
prevent unauthorized access to an amateur radio antenna tower and a
generator.

2. There is a French drain, so there is no way to install a regular
in-ground fence post at that end.

From the responses already given, it seems that the best thing might be
to put a regular fence post as close as possible to the brickwork --
about 2ft out -- with the short fence panel between that post and the
brickwork not needing a whole lot of support at the chimney end. But
I'll have to think about the aesthetic aspect.

Your generator and antenna care what the inside of the fence look
like?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:17:07 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

You did not say if the brick work is a brick facing or a structural
brick. If it is a facing I would not really like the idea of trying to tie
in the fence. Even if it were structural brick I would not do it that way.
In fact I was faced with that problem and I did not do it that way. I just
placed the post close to but not touching the brick. That post and the
brick and the fence are still there 40 years later. I have moved but the
fence has not.

If it were a really good fence, it would have followed you to your new
home.

There is not only the issue of weathering, but if something big bumps
into the fence, it can take part of the brickwork down too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

You did not say if the brick work is a brick facing or a structural
brick. If it is a facing I would not really like the idea of trying to
tie
in the fence. Even if it were structural brick I would not do it that
way.
In fact I was faced with that problem and I did not do it that way. I
just
placed the post close to but not touching the brick. That post and the
brick and the fence are still there 40 years later. I have moved but the
fence has not.

If it were a really good fence, it would have followed you to your new
home.

There is not only the issue of weathering, but if something big bumps
into the fence, it can take part of the brickwork down too.

Yepper. You DO NOT attach fences to the house. Houses are forever- fences
are temporary structures.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

1. The brickwork in question is what I would have called the
"chimney-breast," but I see that that term is used primarily of
brickwork that projects *into* the room. This is brickwork projecting
out from the wall. The idea is to have an enclosed area behind this to
prevent unauthorized access to an amateur radio antenna tower and a
generator.

2. There is a French drain, so there is no way to install a regular
in-ground fence post at that end.

From the responses already given, it seems that the best thing might be
to put a regular fence post as close as possible to the brickwork --
about 2ft out -- with the short fence panel between that post and the
brickwork not needing a whole lot of support at the chimney end. But
I'll have to think about the aesthetic aspect.

Your generator and antenna care what the inside of the fence look
like?

How big does this enclosed area need to be? I'm seeing something the size of
a dog pen, maybe? Yes, hold the posts back from the house. A 2-foot fence
panel can hang from one edge, you just need something to keep it from
flapping in the wind. Maybe a second post a foot or two inside the
perimeter, and create a triangular box section with the two posts, the house
end of short panel, and suitable braces between the three vertical edges.
Same concept as your antenna tower. For a six foot tall 2 feet wide fence
panel, it would only take a few rails on the 2 hidden sides- make sure the
lower one is high enough to make trimming the grass under it easy.

aem sends...

Wind fence question Jim-Poncin Home Repair 9 January 6th 06 10:17 PM
Fence Question Corinne Home Repair 20 July 6th 05 09:45 PM
Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 05:48 PM
Fence Novice Question barry martin Home Repair 1 December 23rd 03 03:22 PM