Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fence question

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:17:07 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

You did not say if the brick work is a brick facing or a structural
brick. If it is a facing I would not really like the idea of trying to tie
in the fence. Even if it were structural brick I would not do it that way.
In fact I was faced with that problem and I did not do it that way. I just
placed the post close to but not touching the brick. That post and the
brick and the fence are still there 40 years later. I have moved but the
fence has not.

If it were a really good fence, it would have followed you to your new
home.

There is not only the issue of weathering, but if something big bumps
into the fence, it can take part of the brickwork down too.