Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] whatever@whomever.com is offline

Default Fence question

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:47:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one
end, but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I
see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

I would try to attach it beyond the brick into wood or concrete with
lag screws.

If you can dig deep enough (1/3 length of the post), I would also
consider just using driveway chips (thin sliced stones) tamped around
the post.

Regards
Dale