Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Fence question

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I am planning to install a fence that will attach to brickwork at one end,
but I am not sure what is the best way to attach it. The options I see a

1. Use a regular 4x4 fence post attached to the wall;

2. Use a skinnier piece of wood attached to the wall;

(And in the two cases above, which is the best way to attach the wood to
the brick wall? Adhesive or bolts/screws?)

3. Attach the recommended metal brackets directly to the brick wall --
presumably with bolts or screws.

Have I missed anything?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Perce

There is no good way. Yes, you can use anchors, and drill into the mortar
or brick. BUT, brickwork is not known for its strength. Regular settling
of the soil is enough to cause brick walls to crack, break, and fall. Holes
where water can infiltrate and go through the freeze/thaw cycles are not a
good thing. Unless done exactly right, it is incredibly easy to split a
brick, or crack the mortar. And even if done right, there is a chance of
cracking.

I would consider attaching it to the ground. Something like a square tube
metal post sunk in concrete.

Unless it don't matter, or you are going to sell soon.

Steve