Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Lighted lamps w/ magnification

Gordon Airporte wrote:
SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop

From what I've see, models with an fluorescent ring are the nicest,
with incandescent models being kind of weak. Make sure the clamping
mechanism is all metal - I've had cheap lamps that broke off because
of plastic parts in there.

I've had cheap ones that broke off because of the poor quality metal
parts. On one I replaced a broken casting with a piece carved out of
maple and that part held up longer than the metal part did, in fact it
was still fine when the ballast burnt out.

There's a version that has a 100 watt halogen bulb in it--they're amply
bright but give off a good deal of heat.

Good reach is also nice; you may be able to
place it so it covers two work areas.
I was fortunate enough to pick mine up from Woodcraft on either sale
or closeout. If it was closeout they may only carry incandescents now.

Saw fluorescents at the local Woodcraft the other day. Same kind that I
put the maple piece in.

Staples carries a variety of them--high prices for cheap lamps though.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)