Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lighted lamps w/ magnification

On Mar 22, 12:19 pm, SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench.

I've seen similar things in sewing or craft stores (my wife's a
quilter). You might check there, or simply do a google search for
'clamp magnifier lamp' - I know I've seen several things like this.
Try office stores, Amazon, home centers, etc.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?
Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote in
:

I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

You may want to look into magnifiers you can wear on your head. They're
made with people like model railroaders in mind, and don't look any more
goofy than utilitarian equipment does. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 12:24 pm, Puckdropper wrote:
SWDeveloper wrote :

I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

You may want to look into magnifiers you can wear on your head. They're
made with people like model railroaders in mind, and don't look any more
goofy than utilitarian equipment does. ;-)

Puckdropper

most of your industreal supply catalogs have them. ie Granger, MSC
ect, for about $45-100 in different magnification levels

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roger wrote:
[...]

The "good" brand is Luxo for about $300. If you're not going for one of
those then under $100 lamps all work pretty much equally well and it
really gets down to what features you want. Even Luxo has an under $100
cheapie in the line now.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop

From what I've see, models with an fluorescent ring are the nicest,
with incandescent models being kind of weak. Make sure the clamping
mechanism is all metal - I've had cheap lamps that broke off because of
plastic parts in there. Good reach is also nice; you may be able to
place it so it covers two work areas.
I was fortunate enough to pick mine up from Woodcraft on either sale or
closeout. If it was closeout they may only carry incandescents now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Airporte wrote:
SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop

From what I've see, models with an fluorescent ring are the nicest,
with incandescent models being kind of weak. Make sure the clamping
mechanism is all metal - I've had cheap lamps that broke off because
of plastic parts in there.

I've had cheap ones that broke off because of the poor quality metal
parts. On one I replaced a broken casting with a piece carved out of
maple and that part held up longer than the metal part did, in fact it
was still fine when the ballast burnt out.

There's a version that has a 100 watt halogen bulb in it--they're amply
bright but give off a good deal of heat.

Good reach is also nice; you may be able to
place it so it covers two work areas.
I was fortunate enough to pick mine up from Woodcraft on either sale
or closeout. If it was closeout they may only carry incandescents now.

Saw fluorescents at the local Woodcraft the other day. Same kind that I
put the maple piece in.

Staples carries a variety of them--high prices for cheap lamps though.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Office supply places have what you need. Florescent lighting is the way to
go. Since you mentioned a Dremel, a warning is in order. If you are
grinding, you don't want a glass lens anywhere near it. Grinding sparks will
make glass crater. It will look like the lens is dirty but you cannot remove
it. The damage is permanent. I've destroyed many pairs of glasses over the
years from this.

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I plan on using the Dremel mostly for wood, but thanks for the warning
about grinding. I guess when sharpening metal I'll use a replaceble
plastic face shield.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:58:47 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Office supply places have what you need. Florescent lighting is the way to
go. Since you mentioned a Dremel, a warning is in order. If you are
grinding, you don't want a glass lens anywhere near it. Grinding sparks will
make glass crater. It will look like the lens is dirty but you cannot remove
it. The damage is permanent. I've destroyed many pairs of glasses over the
years from this.

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...1&NTITEM=B2462

not all have a shield
overall length and stability
wattage, diameter, and cost of bulb
mag power, size of glass, prob glass quality

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

SWDeveloper wrote:
I'm looking for a quality lighted lamp w/ magnification to use in my
shop, maybe one that can clamp to the edge of a workbench. This
should be handy for super fine work with a Dremel, sharpening or
removing splinters. I know Grizzly makes such a lamp, but read some
negative reviews conserning quality. Also, I was wondering if
incandescent or flourescent is better?

The Circleline (sp?) fluorescents surround the object with light so
your hands and tools won't cast shadows. Far superior. Lower heat
output. Most beneficial.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LUXO-ILLUMINATED...mZ260100320324
Shipping is high, but the overall value is good.

cheap 30x magnification help please [email protected] Electronics Repair 11 March 23rd 06 12:08 AM
Lighted Grabber Tool? CWLee Home Repair 22 January 16th 06 11:08 PM
Lighted Switch Walter R. Home Repair 22 November 26th 05 05:50 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM
NEEDED: Magnification to assist with SMT soldering Odie Ferrous Electronics Repair 6 June 10th 04 07:31 AM