Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default pancake boxes + junction

On Mar 22, 12:49 pm, "Mike" wrote:
I read in a NEC summary that a 6 cubic inch pancake box is "only good
for the end of a 14/2 run", i.e., no outgoing 14/2 allowed. But I
also read (somewhere, not specifically in the NEC) that the pancake
box can be used as a junction box, as long as the fixture attached is
domed and hence provides the additional cubic inches needed for the
junction.

Is the second statement true? If so, do inspectors go along with
it?

If I have 6 outdoor fixtures to install along the front of a building;
can I just daisy chain a 14/2 to each location, and leave (2) 1 foot
ends hanging out of a hole at each location, claiming a pancake box +
domed fixture will be installed at each location (when the building
exterior is finished)? I've seen plenty of new construction where the
wiring for exterior lights is just left hanging, and I assume they get
their rough wiring bought off prior to completing the exterior trim/
fixtures.

Mike

Good question I went to replace an outdoor light fixture on my
daughter's house and found no outlet (octagon etc.) box at all in the
soffit! I was able to wangle some wood through the soffit hole and
secure it to the house and a new octagon box to it to provide a
sufficiently secure mounting for a new sensor/photo cell controlled
'double floodlight' fixture. I wasn't heaping blessings on the
original electrician while I was up the ladder doing it though! Your
approach sounds like a good one.