Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replace dangerous side steps

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:28:11 -0700, aspasia wrote:

Well, you did give me an idea. Maybe the City doesn't require him (or
her) to be a licensed contractor. I was thinking they had to be,

Check on that.

because it would be paid for by a City grant (senior stuff).

The City allocated $4000 for the job, but the ONLY bid I was able
to get was from a female head of a minority construction company not
in this area, and it ran $625 over.

For 4600 dollars it ought to have air conditioning and a
merry-go-round.

Nothing developed for over a year, and then I got an inquiry from
whoever drew up the bid papers -- they're somehow connected with the
City (don't ask; I don't even understand it!) So now I am trying to
find out if the bid is still alive, and if not, go back on the hunt
for a contractor/handyman/whatever.

Sigh!

I originally asked the group if they knew of a way to locate a
person to do the job, other than the Yellow Pages.

References from neighbors, Look under Handymen in the yellow pages?
Newspaper classified, Craig's list

Still asking...any thoughts on where to look? I really don't want to
lose the City funds, and I sure as hell need to fix those steps,
but I can't afford it out of pocket.

Aspasia