Posted to rec.woodworking
John B John B is offline

Default Cut your hair boys and girls (cautionary tale)

J. Clarke wrote:
This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a
sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.

I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse
than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the
router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the
snip

Glad to hear that the worst injury was a scare.
When I was at Tech. School, doing my apprenticeship in the earl 70's,
all blokes with long hair had to wear a hair net.
Needles to say, this offended some fellows sense of man hood.
So ignoring the rule, one bloke decided it would be OK to drill a quick
hole with the drill press and no net.
One hole was one to many as his hair got caught up in the chuck and he
was promptly scalped. About a 3" diameter piece of scalp almost pulled
completely of on the side of his head.
It was promptly decided by all who needed to, that hair nets were not
that sissy after all.

Once again, glad that pride was the only injury.

regards
John