Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default A River Runs Through It

In article , Joseph Meehan says...

Jackson wrote:
"Donna" attempted to ask what they
thought was a serious question by saying:

... my basement, I mean.

We badly need a sump pump. Maybe two, but definitely one where the
water pools every spring.

warily eyeing the melting snow

How hard is it to install a sump pump? Is that a job for a pro, or
can I do it with power tools? We have a fieldstone basement, with
a cement floor. There is no well yet, just a low spot that collects
water. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donna

From my experience in most cases a sump & pump is just a way to throw
money at a problem on the cheap and still not fix the issue. If
you've really got basement water problems spend the bucks on
something like the B-Dry system and be done with it. Just be sure to
check out the contractor in your area before hiring though, there are
a lot of 'not so satisfying' operators in the basement waterproofing
business. Not to mention a lot of people selling systems that will
fail or not work at all. Do some serious research, call a lot of
vendors for assessments/quotes, check out the vendors you are
considering with BBB and whoever else you can find in your area.

The "B-Dry system" list two types of products. The first I found listed
was a fancy name for a sump pump system. The second is the useless paint -
spray on trash. I think I would avoid B-Dry based on the way the market
their product if for no other reason.

I don't know about any spray on stuff, but the B-Dry system I have is an
interior drain tile system with sump pump. Working beautifully for 11 years
now.

Banty