Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default A River Runs Through It

Donna wrote:
... my basement, I mean.

We badly need a sump pump. Maybe two, but definitely one where the water
pools every spring.

warily eyeing the melting snow

How hard is it to install a sump pump? Is that a job for a pro, or can I do
it with power tools? We have a fieldstone basement, with a cement floor.
There is no well yet, just a low spot that collects water.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donna

Hi, Donna.

BTDT. One option (worked for me):
1. Get a decent quality pump (submersible, whatever)., with float-
valve.
2. Get/rent/borrow a hammer-drill and drill holes to outline a hole,
say 8-12" larger in diameter than the pump, in the slab at the low
point,
say 1' from the wall (footings); clean out hole down to a depth of,
say,
16-18".
3. Mix up some stiff mortar mix, get rubber gloves, and apply mortar
make stable sides for hole. If any drainage channel in the area, leave
open.
4. Place pump in hole; run pipe (plastic is simplest) with
appropriate
couplings, outside house (not to sewer!) maybe even with some garden
hose coupled on, so it drains away from house.
5. Plug it in and relax; you'll relax more if it has battery backup.
6. See what you can do to make sure gutters drain away from house, of
course.

HTH,