Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Crawl space excavation

On Mar 21, 2:26 pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 20, 6:44 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
A yard of dirt is only about a ton damp, and he's only talking about
roughly
166 yards. So it's considerably less than your mistaken math.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

Good to see you're a CE but what do you plan to do with the ~200 yds
of dirt?

~ 3000 tons

That's ~8 "double dumps"

btw I've done the shop vac "moving sandy soil / damp sand" experiment

medium sized shop vac ~10 gallon........ soil removal rate ~ 1gpm

so you've got something on the order of 650 hours of vacuum
time.....not including time to empty & dispose of the dirt.

We're taking about ~100 days of vacuuming (if you can keep at it for 6
hours per day) Even if I'm high by 2x .....still 50 days of
vacuuming!

Consider contracting with a vacuum excavator.

Your new footings are 24" wide? How deep?

I hope they go below your intended excavation depth.

cheers
Bob

Steve-

Oops!

My arithmetic is fine but my reading needs a little work.........

I read he was digging another 42" but he's digging down to 42", which
is really only another 38".

So I calc'd 194 yds & rounded up to 200.......at 38" additional dig
its 175 yd

the ~3000 tons was a slip on the keyboard (an extra zero) & no proof
reading should have been 300 tons

clearly 3000 tons cannot fit in 8 double dumps!

I used a guessed estimate of 100 pcf for soil weight (2700lb / yd)

Researching density of sandy loam gives 80 to 90 pcf. I think your
number of 74 pcf is a little light.

So my arithmetic is fine, its the input assumptions & my typing that
need a little work.

Independent of the exact (real) numbers ~200 tons he's still facing a
job that will take many days if done hand.

cheers
Bob

Old, old Mechanical Engineering textbooks indicate that one man can load 1
cubic yard of loose dirt in about 45 minutes on a continuous basis. Because
of my constraints I am assuming it will take about 2 hours per cubic yard.
That includes running the Kubota to the back acreage for disposal. Maybe I
can lose most of my excess weight?

Thanks,
Ivan

Ivan-

I'm not disputing that this project is doable.....it is.

But it is a non-trivial undertaking. The fact that you have a Kubota
AND back acreage for disposal will really help out. If you've got
even as little as a half acre you can make this dirt disappear easily
but for me living in an urban / suburban area getting rid of more
than a few yds is a pain.

Check my calcs but 175 yards at 2 hrs per yd ........that's about 2
man months, if you can do it 8 hrs per day.

The final answer isn't going to be 10 work days or 200 work days.

I know of a guy who dug a basement by hand.....weekends & a few hours
here & there after work......took him 3 1/2 years (calender years)

let us know how it works out so we can update our "by hand" dirt
removal rates.

cheers
Bob