Refinish King

Default What are the aluminum repair welding rods ...

When I repair pot metal:

like a moulding or door handle on a classic or antique car. Before I send it
out to be rechromed. I have a bunch of old pots, pans and mouldings, I clean
the pieces up good, use some all purpose flux, heat the parts and the pieces
to make the flux stick.

Then build away. Then comes grinding and shaping time, praying you didn't
grind off too much before you get to the polishing step.

Then off to the platers.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

"George" wrote in message
I've never had to repair pot metal. Out of curiosity, what do people
usually use?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:20:34 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

It's not really welding since the base metal is not melted, more
soldering. The tensile strength of the joint is not very high. I.e.,
don't count on it holding 2 pieces in tension together. But it is good
for filling in. E.g., a hole that's been wallowed out can be filled and
redrilled (and tapped). It's best used on aluminum, using it on pot
metal is tricky since the melting points are so close. You can wind up
making a puddle out the part that you are trying to fix.

Bob