George

Default What are the aluminum repair welding rods ...

Thank you Gary.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:35:02 -0500, Gary Coffman
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:27:11 GMT, George wrote:
What are the aluminum repair welding rods that I'm seeing that you
just use an OA torch to melt with no flux, shielding gas, etc. ???
Here come the questions:

1. Does it really work?

Yeah.

2. What are the rods made out of?

Mostly zinc.

3. What are the trade offs? I'm assuming it's for general repairs
and not stuff where you have a special alloy with a
strength/flexibility that's critical.

The joint won't be very strong, about like soft solder, but if
that's all you need, it's simpler than actually making a soft
solder joint on aluminum or pot metal.

Gary