Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ls1mike@gmail.com is offline

Default Construction adhesive for 'fine' furniture?

On Mar 20, 7:44 am, "RayV" wrote:
On Mar 20, 7:57 am, Mike Hartigan wrote:

I'm building a couple of cabinets. Nothing special, just nice boxes
using oak ply and trimming it with 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, and some 1/4 x 2
lattice. Given my aversion to nail holes, I decided to use glue for
the trim pieces rather than nails. I'm screwing them from behind
where I can, but for the pieces where that's not practical -
particularly the lattice - I'm simply clamping them. I used Titebond
wood glue for the lattice, but I chose to use a urethane construction
adhesive for the beefier pieces. Given that the work is almost done
(fine time to ask for advice), was this a bad idea? Can I expect
these to last a lifetime, or will I be adding nails a few years down
the road? Will the solvents in the urethane product cause any
finishing issues?

-Mike

Sure it is fine just don't use the tube marked 'construction' use the
one that says 'projects'.

Why? (I'm not arguing - I'm asking) Intuitively, a tube marked
'construction' sounds like it would be superior to one marked
'projects'. Strictly in the context of the question, why would one be
better suited than the other for the stated application?