Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Construction adhesive for 'fine' furniture?

I'm building a couple of cabinets. Nothing special, just nice boxes
using oak ply and trimming it with 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, and some 1/4 x 2
lattice. Given my aversion to nail holes, I decided to use glue for
the trim pieces rather than nails. I'm screwing them from behind
where I can, but for the pieces where that's not practical -
particularly the lattice - I'm simply clamping them. I used Titebond
wood glue for the lattice, but I chose to use a urethane construction
adhesive for the beefier pieces. Given that the work is almost done
(fine time to ask for advice), was this a bad idea? Can I expect
these to last a lifetime, or will I be adding nails a few years down
the road? Will the solvents in the urethane product cause any
finishing issues?

-Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 20, 7:57 am, Mike Hartigan wrote:
I'm building a couple of cabinets. Nothing special, just nice boxes
using oak ply and trimming it with 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, and some 1/4 x 2
lattice. Given my aversion to nail holes, I decided to use glue for
the trim pieces rather than nails. I'm screwing them from behind
where I can, but for the pieces where that's not practical -
particularly the lattice - I'm simply clamping them. I used Titebond
wood glue for the lattice, but I chose to use a urethane construction
adhesive for the beefier pieces. Given that the work is almost done
(fine time to ask for advice), was this a bad idea? Can I expect
these to last a lifetime, or will I be adding nails a few years down
the road? Will the solvents in the urethane product cause any
finishing issues?

-Mike

Sure it is fine just don't use the tube marked 'construction' use the
one that says 'projects'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 20, 7:44 am, "RayV" wrote:
[...]

Why? (I'm not arguing - I'm asking) Intuitively, a tube marked
'construction' sounds like it would be superior to one marked
'projects'. Strictly in the context of the question, why would one be
better suited than the other for the stated application?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have found construction adhesive too thick to penetrate wood very
deep and it usually sticks to my fingers longer than it sticks to
wood. I have had much better luck with the $5 / tube adhesive than
the $1.50 / tube stuff (the $5 / tube stuff will generally stick to my
hands for several weeks;-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Personally, I think you will be fine. Quality adhesives are so good
these days I don't always use a mechanical fastener if I have the time
to glue and clamp.

By using adhesive only, you don't risk the chance of splits from
fasteners, and errant nail sticking out of your project, you don't
have nails to fill, etc., so you can cut down the time spent overall
when assembing and finishing.

If you are thinking you need a mechanical fastener, try doweling or
using biscuits (don't make me haul out the furniture manufacturer's
study that showed the added strength to the joints...) or maybe a
pocket screw in an inconspicuous place.

Try not to overglue as the residue or cleaned areas can affect
finishing. Use the correct solvent to clean up while the glue is
wet. I used to wait until the glue was dry and clean up with a sharp
chisel. However, after slicing through too many micro-veneered panels
of birch, I clean TB with a damp sponge.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert