Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with my finishing technique

Oughtsix wrote:

I have never tried a base or seal coat of clear shelac under poly for
"popping the grain".**I*have*only*used*shelac*under*stain*to*tr y*to
even the stain out. This might be worth trying on some test wood.**I
find water based poly a little lifeless on maple and laquer not much
better.**A*little*"pop"*would*be*nice*if*it*didn't *impart*any*color.

It will add a little color, but the dewaxed super blonde will add very little.

BTW, I've tried a swipe coat of clear Watco under the shellac, as some have
said the combination "pops" the grain more. My eyes can't tell that the oil
has added anything on the cherry/walnut/alder/maple I've tried it on.

--
It's turtles, all the way down