Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Review: NYW on DIY

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:23:37 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message

I don't believe there's ever been a program anywhere on any channel
(infomercials don't count) that's aired more than 1:5 commercial to
content. That's 20%.

It's actuallly closer to 30% today ... from answers.com:

quote

Advertisements take airtime away from programs. In the 1960s a typical
hour-long American show would run for 51 minutes excluding advertisements.
Today, a similar program would only be 42 minutes long; a typical 30-minute
block of time includes 22 minutes of programming with 6 minutes of national
advertising and 2 minutes of local (although some half-hour blocks may have
as much as 12 minutes of advertisements).

I miscalculated the percentage of 1:5, think it was 1 in 5. It's
actually 1 in 6. Anyway, the specific percentage doesn't matter--we're
certainly in agreement that it's gotten larger.

My principal point, however poorly stated, was that there never has
been a 1:1 (50%) ratio of content to commercials in regular
programming, and I still maintain that's correct.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.