Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Help with my finishing technique

On 19 Mar 2007 15:56:54 -0700, "Oughtsix" wrote:

I have never tried a base or seal coat of clear shelac under poly for
"popping the grain". I have only used shelac under stain to try to
even the stain out. This might be worth trying on some test wood. I
find water based poly a little lifeless on maple and laquer not much
better. A little "pop" would be nice if it didn't impart any color.

Just make sure it's dewaxed. Seal Coat or Zinnser Clear _spray_ is
OK. Zinnser Clear _brushable_ contains wax.

Thanks for the tip!

Glad to offer it!