Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Review: NYW on DIY

On 18 Mar 2007 16:17:26 -0700, wrote:

I also have an extensive NYW video collection, captured into MPEG
files, and noticed the same thing you did. IIRC, there's about a 5
second shot they cut where he plugged in his dust collector and the
missing fingerboards you noticed. They snip the preview of next
episode's project and add some music and a logo as they go into and
come out of each commercial.

They also chopped out the part where he drilled the hole in the panel
cutter and advised how to hang it somewhere convenient to encourage
using it.

When my PBS copy is good I'll stick with that, but I do have some
marginal HGTV episodes and will decide on a case-by-case basis if they
are worthy of replacement, or perhaps I should edit in the missing
pieces from the poor recording into the DIY capture.

http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrown/Woodwork...op_videos.html

Wow. You are lucky to have been able to grab those HGTV broadcasts
when you did. I'm sure you didn't have the video capture cabability
back in 1989 when the PBS broadcasts started.

Just for your information, HGTV only ever rebroadcast the first 12
seasons. And they had three separate contracts--'89-'96, 97-98, and
99-2000. I don't recall the specifics, but I would be very surprised
if they got through that last batch more than once before they pulled
the plug a few years ago (wish I could remember when it was exactly).
Consider yourself fortunate if you have many PBS versions before 2000.

The DIY contract is for at least season 13 (2001), but no earlier.
That's all I've been able to find so far. I doubt you will see any
earlier broadcasts from them (even though they are a subsidiary of
HGTV).

I thought about the editing-in part. Probably more work than I'm
interested in doing. Of course I'm working from VCR/DVR/DVD so it's
probably more cumbersome than doing it all on the computer.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.