Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Running service from house to garage

wrote:

Your starting to lose me here (noting conductive can go between th
buildings...)

In the same trench (outside of the conduit) I ran a coax line. Not
sure if this impacts things or not.

Because of the coax, running 3 wires for a 240V service is not an
option. You need 3 wires for a 120V service or 4 wires for 240V.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like it would be acceptable (and
simpliest) to pull out the romex and push 4 #12 THWN conductors
through (black, red, white, ??). (Is #12 easy to push or will I need
to fish it through?) This would give me 2 120V 20 amp supply lines,
one common neutral and a common ground. Without adding a subpanel I
could splice these into romex in the garage. But as recommended it
would be better to push #10 or #8 to increase the amperage and add a
subpanel in the garage.

#12 wire is not too bad to push. #8 is pretty easy because it's
stranded wire with fine strands. #6 is kind of tough, and #10 solid is
probably the worst.

I think you're going to have to pull this anyway because you have all
those 90 degree bends.

Look into pulling 4 stranded #10's (you could also do this same thing
with #8's but it will cost more) and wiring it without a subpanel. That
gives you 2 120V circuits with very little voltage drop. Someday when
you want to expand, you change out the breaker to 30A and add a little
subpanel in the garage. Little subpanels are *cheap*.

Bob