Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Old phone jacks

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:34:17 -0500, Terry
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:22:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:31:09 -0500, Terry
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:51:47 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:24:41 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

My guess is that because they are so close together they are for two
lines.

The house I bought had 3 phone jacks within a few inches of each
other. They were all connected to the same line.

The house was built sometime around 1970, but these jacks were added
later. Apparently, one and then the other 2 even later.

If something is worth saying once, it's worth saying it three times.
That's why you need three jacks.

Why would you ever need 3 phone jacks in one spot on the same line?
The guy never heard of a splitter?

One for the phone? One for the computer?...............One for the
Fax?

Two of these have jacks built in. So, you still only need one phone
jack.

I have a speakerphone from Radio Shack. It's a phone with no ringer
and no dialing, so you need a regular phone too. It had an extra jack
on it for that purpose. However the built-in cord broke off a long
time ago (they do) so it has to be connected using that extra jack.

Since those 3 jacks were here before I bought the house, I don't know
what they were all used for. Maybe someone hadn't heard about the
multi-jack adapters. A lot of people don't know about such things.

I can't think of anything that uses a phone line, except a phone, that
does not have an extra jack for the phone.

A lot of people have cordless phones, and some recognize the need to
have a corded phone too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com