Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Removed ceiling fixture, now what?

Sounds like something my dad would do. Clearly it's not going anywhere, but
NEC requires a box that holds a fan to have 10/32 screws, and a standard box
has 8/32. Not that I would be concerned, but an 1100 takes about two minutes
to install

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Electrical tape on the ends will work. There are retrofit heavy fixture/

fan
boxes, like Westinghouse 1100 that will install through the existing hole
and expand inside the ceiling, joist to joist, to hang your chandelier or
fan from

What I did was to use a standard metal box and I used a 2X4 to span the
ceiling joists above the hole and I cut two lengths of 1/2" copper pipe to
fit between the top of the box and the bottom of my 2X4. I used washers
on
both sides of the pipe sections and drilled the bottom of the box to 1/4".

I mounted 2 Tee nuts on the 2X4 and used 1/4 bolts to hold everything
together with a little locktite on the bolts. That sucker is going
nowhere.
I looked at the ceiling fan boxes and I liked my way better.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate: