Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Removed ceiling fixture, now what?

On 18 Mar 2007 15:17:46 -0700, wrote:

We removed a heavy glass chandelier with the intention of putting in a
ceiling fan, and found that the box was clearly a plastic one designed
for lightweight lighting fixtures and not anything heavy, and
furthermore, was not secured to anything but instead was just sort of
floating in the celing. In fact, it seemed so flimsy we didn't want to
put the chandelier back up.

I have heard of electricians using these, but I have never tried one.
They are supposed to be able to be installed using only the opening
hole for the box.

Installs without going into attic
Maximum load rating for ceiling fans is up to 70 lbs
Maximum load rating for light fixtures is up to 150 lbs

http://www.csnceilingfans.com/Westin...ml#ProdDetails