Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default tool for jewelry box

Andrew Barss wrote:

jaq wrote:
: I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
: was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
: wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
: what she wants.
: They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
: were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
: the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
: Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
: actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
: Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
: Thanks, jaq

In addition tom the other suggestions in this thread:

a) I think I've seen a hinge that gets inserted into the
slot cut bya biscuit jointer. This would likely have been at
Woodcraft; failing that, Lee Valley.

b) There's a simpler type of hinge that works for small boxes.
It's just inserted into a drilled hole -- nothing required other than
the right sized drill bit.

-- Andy Barss

Barrel hinges. Soss make the cabinet sized hinges. I have some 3mm barrel
hinges that are not Soss, but can't remember where I got them. The smallest
Rockler seems to carry is 10mm:
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=270&cookietest=1