Posted to rec.woodworking
jaq jaq is offline

Default tool for jewelry box

I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is called a slotter, and you can get them at machine shop supply places.
Then you will need a mandrel to put them on, and the machine to spin the
slotter and put the slot where you want it to be. But if you are making the
box you do not necessarily need to use that kind of hinge, you can make a
fine jewelry box with a set of regular hinges, or a piano hinge or perhaps
even some sort of pivot or something.

It would be a would lot easier to mortise the hinges using tools you already
have than to tool up for the slot setup.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"jaq" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

Posted to rec.woodworking

See http://www.mcmaster.com/ pg# 2464

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Never heard of a "slotter" of the type you are describing. Then again, I've
only been machining for 21 years. A slotter is a stationary machine tool.
Large, heavy, expensive and will not do what the OP wants. What would work
is a slotting saw. 1/2" mandrels are available for them and they (under 2")
run fine in a router. We used to use them in router tables to trim plastic.
Though this could be done, I agree with you that standard techniques would
be a better way to go.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
It is called a slotter, and you can get them at machine shop supply

places.
Then you will need a mandrel to put them on, and the machine to spin the
slotter and put the slot where you want it to be. But if you are making

the
box you do not necessarily need to use that kind of hinge, you can make a
fine jewelry box with a set of regular hinges, or a piano hinge or perhaps
even some sort of pivot or something.

It would be a would lot easier to mortise the hinges using tools you

already
have than to tool up for the slot setup.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,

then
they come up with this striped stuff.
"jaq" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jaq" wrote:

I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

Google: hinge slot cutter

Most of the results are hobby suppliers. Radio control fliers have to cut
slots for hinges.

Example:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK266&P=M

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jaq" wrote in message
oups.com...

I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

Try searching for "kerf-cut hinge" or "barbed hinge". The hinges are
inexpensive. The cutting blade and mandrel are quite expensive. See:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...0box%20hin ge

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

jaq wrote:
: I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
: was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
: wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
: what she wants.
: They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
: were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
: the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
: Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
: actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
: Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
: Thanks, jaq

In addition tom the other suggestions in this thread:

a) I think I've seen a hinge that gets inserted into the
slot cut bya biscuit jointer. This would likely have been at Woodcraft;
failing that, Lee Valley.

b) There's a simpler type of hinge that works for small boxes.
It's just inserted into a drilled hole -- nothing required other than the
right sized drill bit.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Buy the hinges from Rockler. Buy the cutter, as Roger suggested, from a
machine shop supply. Cutter less that $15.00. Arbor shouldn't be much more.

"Nova" wrote in message
"jaq" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:

jaq wrote:
[...]

Barrel hinges. Soss make the cabinet sized hinges. I have some 3mm barrel
hinges that are not Soss, but can't remember where I got them. The smallest
Rockler seems to carry is 10mm:
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=270&cookietest=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

jaq wrote:
I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

I'm not sure that I can picture what it is you're describing, and I have
a feeling what I'm going to link to isn't it, but it might be an
alternative. I've used similar hinges on small boxes and I have had a
lot of success with them.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41265

For narrower wood, you can use these:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...93&cat=3,41241

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

Jewelry Box Question Woodhead Woodworking 5 March 17th 07 11:16 PM
JEWELRY BOX - PDF J T Woodworking 2 August 26th 05 11:10 PM
Jewelry Box Hinges Ray Dunn Woodworking 14 January 3rd 05 04:41 PM
Jewelry box inserts Doug Woodworking 1 January 3rd 05 04:23 PM
HELP - Jewelry Box Liner RonB Woodworking 13 December 15th 04 12:47 AM