Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default tool for jewelry box

jaq wrote:
I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas
was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She
wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of
what she wants.
They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid
were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only
the pivot part of the hinge was showing.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is
actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my
Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work.
Thanks, jaq

I'm not sure that I can picture what it is you're describing, and I have
a feeling what I'm going to link to isn't it, but it might be an
alternative. I've used similar hinges on small boxes and I have had a
lot of success with them.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41265

For narrower wood, you can use these:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...93&cat=3,41241