Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Old phone jacks

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:04:24 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Yes it helps thanks!

Unfortunately it seems these wirings were added later and it sort of tucked
itself under door trims, under carpets etc...and now I need to find ways to
figure out which I need and which I don't. I guess it is difficult to
figure that out without actually having a service and see.

Well, you could take a battery and, perhaps with a couple wires with
alligator clips on each end (sold in a 10-pack at Radio Shack, among
other places) and hook the battery up to a pair of phone wires, then
use a meter to find out what jacks go with what pairs.

But I don't see any special need or rush to do that, when you have so
many other things to do, and you can also wait until the phone service
is connected.

If the phones, all or most jacks, were working when the other guy
moved out, they'll still work for you.

I have a friend who works on his car quite a bit, and eventually I
found out that most of what he does is, when he buys a new used car is
to change all the hoses and belts. I otoh have only changed 3 or 4
hoses or belts in the last 30 years, because the ones that are there
seem to last 50 or 100 thousand miles until I get another car.

If I were a contractor coming in to work on your house, I'd want to
get it all done right before I left. But you live there and you don't
charge travel time. So, especially considering all the projects you
have going now, I don't see any problem just redoing the parts you
find ugly, and replacing other stuff as needed.

There are a mixture of older and newer jacks around and I can't find any
pattern or any indication on any plans.

Phone lines were one of the reasons I got the original blueprints for
my house, but they weren't listed iirc. The first owner had put
another layer of sheetrock over most of the bedroom walls, including
covering the phone jack.

MC