Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Old phone jacks

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:49:45 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

(huge snip)
Yes it helps thanks!

Unfortunately it seems these wirings were added later and it sort of
tucked itself under door trims, under carpets etc...and now I need to
find ways to figure out which I need and which I don't. I guess it is
difficult to figure that out without actually having a service and see.

There are a mixture of older and newer jacks around and I can't find any
pattern or any indication on any plans.

Multigenerational wiring, including questionable surface wiring under trim
and carpet edges, with god-knows-what splices hidden away in dead spaces,
is another strong argument for just replacing it all, especially if you
will ever be using the lines for data. I'd look in local ad paper for a
free-lance wiring guy, and have him stop by to give an estimate for
running completely fresh inside wiring, starting at the demarc block on
the outside. Lotsa semi-retired or moonlighting Ma Bell guys provide this
service, much cheaper than Ma Bell or anybody with a yellow pages ad. This
small town has at least four of them running ads every week. If he
understands you are willing to do all the drywall patching and painting,
his bid may be lower than you expect. Just tell him you want a modern
setup, with everything home-run to a 110 block in the basement, on a 2'x3'
3/4" plywood wall panel you will have waiting for him. Two runs of cat 5e,
or cat 6, to each room, even if you don't want data now, would provide
that option for you or the next owner, and if he is pulling wires anyway,
the second cable is relatively cheap to add. An experienced installer can
tell you where the jacks need to be in each room.

aem sends....

Thanks what you said makes sense. To forget about those old phone wires and
do new ones all over. And yes I will be opening walls, replacing floorings,
replacing baseboards and adding doors etc... anyways.

However I also would like to consider a few things as well...

(1) Do I really need cat5e or cat6 wiring for all rooms with wireless phones
and internet nowadays. Should I really have one set of wiring done to a den
or where my desktop computer will be and where my master phone, printer, fax
etc... will be and just let wireless do the rest or is there inherent value
for have an outlet in every bedroom?

(2) On the contrary, the coax cable is in the same shape. I see cable
coming into the house. where the splitter runs along the outside of the
house under the soffit with splitters that are half way corroded and no coax
outlet in every room. So I think I need to lump the coax cable problem
with this into one bigger problem. I do like to have the option of having a
TV in different rooms and kitchen etc...

So now I am talking myself into running both coax and Cat6 to all rooms. Am
I making sense? What else should I do that may be helpful?

Thanks for all the help again!

MC

Cat 5 is not necessary for phones. If you are getting DSL for
Internet then you only need Cat 5 for that one location. The phone
company will install that.

If you have a network, you will be using wiring from the router
location to each computer and not to the phone service. This wire
should be Cat 5 or you could use wireless.

Likewise, if you are getting cable Internet, the extra computers will
need to be wired to the cable router location.

I would just wait on phone service.