Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Old phone jacks

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

(huge snip)
Yes it helps thanks!

Unfortunately it seems these wirings were added later and it sort of
tucked itself under door trims, under carpets etc...and now I need to find
ways to figure out which I need and which I don't. I guess it is
difficult to figure that out without actually having a service and see.

There are a mixture of older and newer jacks around and I can't find any
pattern or any indication on any plans.

Multigenerational wiring, including questionable surface wiring under trim
and carpet edges, with god-knows-what splices hidden away in dead spaces, is
another strong argument for just replacing it all, especially if you will
ever be using the lines for data. I'd look in local ad paper for a
free-lance wiring guy, and have him stop by to give an estimate for running
completely fresh inside wiring, starting at the demarc block on the outside.
Lotsa semi-retired or moonlighting Ma Bell guys provide this service, much
cheaper than Ma Bell or anybody with a yellow pages ad. This small town has
at least four of them running ads every week. If he understands you are
willing to do all the drywall patching and painting, his bid may be lower
than you expect. Just tell him you want a modern setup, with everything
home-run to a 110 block in the basement, on a 2'x3' 3/4" plywood wall panel
you will have waiting for him. Two runs of cat 5e, or cat 6, to each room,
even if you don't want data now, would provide that option for you or the
next owner, and if he is pulling wires anyway, the second cable is
relatively cheap to add. An experienced installer can tell you where the
jacks need to be in each room.

aem sends....